Keepin' Up With the Tidwells

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The BIG 5!

Our precious Beau-handsome, Beau-Beau, Beauregard, Beau-sky.....He's 5 today!  How can that be?!  I was thinking last night what joy and laughter this child has brought into our home.  He is the best combination of sweetness and mischief.  And not just any mischief, but smart mischief (if those two words can actually be used together).  This is the child that pooped under my bed, peed in the bobbing-for-apples bucket, put his brother's toothbrush in the potty, hid my wedding ring.....the list goes on and on.  And while some of those moments (let's be honest....ALL of those moments) brought frustration, they have, in the end, also brought much laughter as well. 

While he's just turning 5, I can see one of his best character traits is he is a loyal companion always sticking to his big brother stride for stride and standing up for him when someone is treating him unfairly.  Our Beau is strong-willed.  I've learned not to spend my money on books giving advice on parenting because they never seem to include a chapter on the child that is "stronger-willed" than most.  Again, while this sometimes brings frustration, I know it is a quality that will make him successful as an adult.  AND I know exactly where he gets this.  It has Vandygriff written all over it!  I love that I can look at Beau and see my daddy's eyes and when he smiles, I see my husband as a child.  And he takes after his papa in his love for music.  Our Beau will sing "Rocky Top" and "Battle of New Orleans" upon request, and if you've seen my Facebook post, you know he's a low-maintenance performer (no mic necessary).  He's imperfectly perfect and wonderfully made.  He has traveled the world in his short time, and of all the places he's visited, he says he's going to live in Texas and be a cowboy.  Did I mention my baby is smart?!   

My prayer for our sweet Beau on his special day is that as he grows, he seeks God's purpose for his life.  I pray that he have a servant's heart and that he'll always feel the love that surrounds him.  I'm blessed I get to raise him.  I get to hold those chubby little fingers each morning walking into school.  I get snotty kisses and a visitor crawling into my bed at night.  I get mud on my carpet and crumbs in my chairs.  I get to be Beau's momma!  Happy 5th Birthday to our sweet Beau!   

No comments:

Post a Comment